The early frog gets the zinc…
This is a very rare and beautiful condition early matte dial Rolex Exploerer. The Explorer story began in the early 1950s, when early versions of the watches were worn on the Everest expedition, and has remained uninterrupted in the Rolex catalogue ever since. The case is really strong all round, with thick lugs.
The matte dial features the iconic painted 3-6-9 numerals and is in flawless condition, with a Rolex coronet that is shaped like the footprint of a frog, hence the nickname!
This is an early example that has the same lume material as the gilt dial watches, made out of zinc-sulphide, which has taken on a lovely patina that are a great match with the hands.
The watch is fitted with a stunning condition rivet-link Oyster bracelet reference 7206 with a clasp stamped ‘3 67’ and reference 58 endlinks. The watch has been fully checked and regulated by our watchmaker.
- Reference 1016
- 36mm steel case
- Serial 173xxxx dating to 1968
- Early matte ‘Frog Foot’ dial
- Oyster rivet bracelet reference 7206 with 58 endlinks
- Fully checked by our watchmaker
- One-year mechanical warranty
- Includes a handmade leather watch pouch
- Free worldwide Fedex Priority shipping