Rolex Big Bubbleback Ovettone Rare Reference 5028
The earliest Ovettone with a deep story…
The Rolex Big Bubbleback story begins in the mid 1940s, when Rolex experimented with some oversized watches that were tested in the market and have become very collectible in recent years. The Italian term for these watches is Ovettone, as they have very deep, round casebacks that resemble an egg – or big egg as per the translation! Reference 5028 is one such watch and it features the small ‘Brevet’ winding crown seen on the smaller Bubblebacks but fitted on a 36mm steel case, that interestingly has a 19mm lug width. The case remains in fantastic condition and has drilled lugs on one side of the case only(!!) The dial SWISS-marked has taken on a lovely gentle warm patina and has gold applied markers and hands and features the OFFICIALLY CERTIFIED CHRONOMETER (OCC) text in the bottom half. The watch is fitted with a reference 6636 stretch Oyster rivet bracelet in nice condition. This s such an amazing watch and it wears so well on the wrist due to the height of the watch!
You can read all about these early Rolex Ovettone - Where it all began in our magazine here...
- Reference 5028
- 36mm steel case with 19mm lug width
- Serial 412xxx dating to 1946
- OCC dial
- Stretch Oyster Rivet bracelet reference 6635 with 65 stamped endlinks and 2 .6o clasp
- Fully serviced by our watchmaker
- 1 year mechanical warranty
- Includes a handmade single leather watch pouch
- Free worldwide Fedex Priority shipping