Rolex Submariner Date Matte Dial Reference 16800
The transitional Sub…
From the late 1970s Rolex began using more robust sapphire crystals on their watches. Known as ‘transitional’ models, early example were fitted with matte dials – a lot like the dials in the plastic glass watches that had preceded them.
This transitional Submariner Date is fitted with its original matte dial with a deep patina on the hour plots that are a decent match with the hand lume. It is rare to find these dials in this condition and many were replaced at service with glossy dials! The bezel inlay has gently faded to a nice charcoal hue. The case is super strong with thick lugs.
The solid link Oyster bracelet reference 93150 is in very good condition and has a clasp stamped ‘VE’ and is fitted with reference 593 endlinks. The watch has been fully checked and regulated by our watchmaker.
- Reference 16800
- 40mm steel case
- Serial 654xxxx dating to 1980
- Rare matte dial
- Charcoal faded bezel
- Solid link Oyster bracelet 93150 with correct 593 endlinks
- Fully checked by our watchmaker
- Remainder of the Rolex service warranty
- Includes a handmade leather watch pouch
- Free worldwide Fedex Priority shipping